Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 400g Ricotta cheese
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ Cup finely grated Pecorino cheese, plus extra to serve
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free plain flour, plus extra, for dusting
- ½ Teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil
- 2 Bunches asparagus
- ½ Cup podded peas or broad beans
- 1 Bunch basil
- Zest and juice of a lemon
- 1 Clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
1. Combine the ricotta, egg, grated parmesan, flour, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl and use a spatula or wooden spoon to beat together. Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls, roll in a little extra flour, then cook gnocchi in a saucepan of boiling water for 3-4 minutes or until gnocchi balls firm up and float to the surface. Carefully remove gnocchi with a slotted spoon.
2. To make the pesto, combine three quarters of the basil (reserve remaining leaves), lemon zest and juice, garlic and pine nuts in a small food processor. Blend until well combined then stir in the olive oil.
3. Heat a frying pan over high heat with two teaspoons of olive oil. Add the asparagus and peas and cook for 1-2 minutes or until lightly charred and tender. Carefully place the gnocchi into the pan with the pesto and stir to combine.
4. Divide gnocchi between plates and top with extra pecorino and remaining basil leaves.
Simply omit the pine nuts to make this recipe nut free!