Ingredients: (Serves 4)
1 Red onion
½ Cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 Cup caster sugar
½ Cup water
1 Teaspoon fennel seeds
300g Mixed heirloom tomatoes, sliced into assorted shapes and sizes
1 Zucchini, sliced into thin ribbons using a peeler
1 Bunch basil, leaves picked
1 Tablespoon capers
1 Tablespoon olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon extra
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 Small garlic clove, grated
250g Haloumi cheese, sliced thickly
1. Place onion in a medium bowl. Combine apple cider vinegar, sugar, water, fennel seeds and peppercorns in a small saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves. Pour pickling liquid over onion and set aside to cool.
2. Combine tomatoes, zucchini, basil, capers and pickled red onion in a large bowl.
3. Combine one tablespoon oil, red wine vinegar and garlic in a small bowl. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
4. Heat remaining one tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook haloumi for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
5. Divide salad between serving plates and top with haloumi